Using iMovie for iPad in a Science classroom
One of the reasons why iPads have been such a success in Science is that it offers a different way to demonstrate learning which is accessible to all students. All of the apps previously discussed on this blog has minimised writing and maximised learning, engagement and also creativity.
I recently used iMovie with a Year 9 BTEC class and asked them to work in pairs to create a short documentary of a planet within the our solar system. Students were given a brief success criteria to follow but I wanted them to be creative. All students were engaged with the task and enjoyed having the freedom to create their film. Great pride was shown by all teams to create the best short film. I feel that this was more than usual and increased pride and engagement in the task was purely down to the use of the iPads, team work element and also the sense of freedom of the task.
The iPads allowed the students to plan, shoot, edit and share their videos easily and high quality work was produced.
Make beautiful HD movies anywhere with iMovie, the fast and fun moviemaking app for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Designed for the Multi-Touch screen, iMovie puts everything you need to tell your story at your fingertips. Browse and play projects in the Marquee view. Make a movie in minutes by adding video, photos, music and sound effects. Then give it the Hollywood treatment by adding a theme, titles and transitions. And you can share share your movie with the world – right from iMovie.
Made for Multi-Touch
• Tap to add video, photos, music, and sound effects
• Drag to trim the length of any clip
• Pinch to zoom the timeline• Slide to scrub through your project
• On iPad, pinch vertically to open the Precision Editor
Add professional polish with Themes
• Choose from a selection of eight unique themes. Each theme includes a matching set of titles and transitions — and its own soundtrack
• Instantly change themes or swap themed elements in your project
• Titles and graphics automatically update with location data from your video
Add photos, music, and sound effects• Add photos from your library, or snap a
picture and drop it into your project
• Use the automatic, face-aware Ken Burns effect, or pinch and drag to create your own
• Choose from soundtracks that match iMovie themes, or select music from your own song library
• Bring your movie to life with a choice of over 50 sound effects
Record and edit your soundtrack
• Record audio directly into the timeline
• Adjust the volume of any video clip, song, sound effect, or audio recording
• Loop music to fill your project
• On iPad, view detailed audio waveforms for every clip in your project
• Publish in HD directly from iMovie to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and CNN iReport
• Send to the Camera Roll and share in an email, or via MMS on iPhone
• Transfer your iMovie project to your computer and compatible iOS devices.